Monday 9 May 2011

Overcoming the bumps on Life's road

In my last blog I talked free will being the ability to choose the roads we take on life's journey, while the towns en route are our destiny; no matter what road we choose, we will always visit the towns we planned to see.  But what happens when it feels as though we've taken a wrong turn?  When life is a mess?  Is it our fault?  Is it fate?

It's too easy to fall into victim mode.  I know that from personal experience!  It's also too easy to blame life, God, fate, whatever... and remain angry, bitter and resentful.  The fact of the matter is that there are always bumps on the road.  The unexpected will always blindside you at 11am on a Monday.  We never get it all right.  Why?  Growth...

This life is about experiences, it's about growth... it's not about bank balances, big houses or eternal youth.  It's about what's on the inside.  It's about who we are, not what we are.  The bumps on the road enable us to grow, to see beyond the walls we build around ourselves.  Those bumps are invitations to expand our beingness, our humanity, and develop characteristics and values that we are lacking.

It's very easy to think 'only I've suffered this much'.  It takes compassion to understand that terrible things happen in many people's lives.  It takes courage to embrace and accept our own pain, and use positively, for ourselves and for the betterment of society.  If we allow Life's bumps to close us down, then we have missed out on a potential gift.

The people I admire most are those who have had the courage and compassion to use their pain as a catalyst for change.  Their stories remind me that I be more than I currently am, that I too can dust myself off, and that I too can expand my heart and make my corner of the world a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment